We are aiming to live more rurally, sustainably and self-reliantly as a small community in the North, (probably within an hour of Leeds) that makes space for rewilding and nature too. We’d like to co-operate with other like-minded people and we envisage some communal elements (sharing resources, some common land/buildings) whilst pursuing our own ways of life on the land and having personal space and privacy. Members spending the majority of their time living as part of the project on the land will probably be essential to obtaining planning permission for the community. Alongside this we want to increase local biodiversity, improve our surrounding habitats and create areas that are reserved for wildlife. We are gradually refining our vision and will welcome input from others who join us.
Our plans so far include:
– Obtaining over 5 hectares of land in a peaceful, rural location that is suitable for our groups financial situation – agricultural land, or land with a small dwelling on it is currently most likely. This will need to include some existing woodland, but we would likely plant more too.
– Building or adapting low-impact, potentially off-grid, living spaces for everyone involved, as well as a communal social space and barn.
– Growing food and managing the land using ecologically sound methods.
– Establishing independent businesses – currently an organic veg box scheme, an ecotherapy garden, native flower growing and a woodland management/coppicing enterprise.
– Hosting volunteers and involving and inspiring the wider community with skills and crafts courses, open days, community action days and events.
We have spent a lot of time travelling and working on land-based community projects around the UK and now want to concentrate on making our idea for a sustainable community in the North happen by meeting other passionate folk. Collectively, we have experience in organic fruit & veg growing, therapeutic gardening, floristry and horticulture, wildlife conservation, land management, carpentry, communal living and community project work. We thrive on good food and company, fresh air and exercise, love to be outdoors in nature and like to have fun whilst we work. We are planning to form a Co-operative which will purchase land using capital invested by each member. We are also looking at other financing options, including ethical bank loans and community shares. If you have ideas, skills, enthusiasm and a similar vision we’d love to hear from you!
Please get in touch.
Mike, Sarah, Matt, Emily & Paul